Saturday, July 24, 2010

Kuala Lumpur- and I lost my camera

What a culture shock.  Rural Bali one day to megalopolyptic Kuala Lumpur.

First night here all I did was find my hotel in Chinatown, get dinner at a hawker stall and walk around a bit.  My rooms a nice change though a bit pricey.  A real hot water shower opposed to the trickles of hot water I've had so far.  A flat screen tv with a lot of Malaysian language channels, some British news and old American movies I've never even heard of.  Not really old but maybe 5 or 10 years. 

After a good night's sleep, some internet and a buffet breakfast at the hotel I hit the town on a hop on hop off bus.  Some of the older architecture is gorgeous.  Most of what I saw is modern.  The viewing platform near the top of the Menara Tower was pretty good, affording a 360 degree view.  The pictures I took don't really do it justice.

Made it into the Royal Selangor Club, birthplace of the Hash.  The place had a sign out front saying only members allowed.  No guards though. I walked right in took a look around, a few pictures and smiled and waved at the guard as I left. He smiled and waved back.

Couldn't make it to the hash that night because it was far out of town and no one in the hash could offer me a lift.  But tonight I'm going.  One of the locals is nice enough to pick me up and was so concerned that he wouldn't know who I was when he gets here today, even though I said I'd be the only person in running gear with my hash tags and a yellow cap that's got my hash name on it, that he showed up at my hotel around midnight, waking me out of a sound sleep and some dream I couldn't remember, to say hello.

I'd had two calls from hashers that day around noon.  I asked at the front desk around 3 if I had any messages since I was expecting at least one.  They said no.  Then when I got back from dinner I had two messages one at 11 am and the other at noon.

****
So I'd typed the above yesterday afternoon intending to upload picturesto it after a read through and edit.  However, today in Cambodia while tuk tukking my way from one temple to the next my camera fell out of my pocket.  We looked for it for quite a while, made a report to the tourist police, asked people that work along the side of the rode and so on but no luck.  So the pictures I have of my trip are just the ones on this blog.

I'm kind of upset, as you can imagine.  Strangely enough, I'm also kind of glad because now I can just look at things and people and experience them without having to think about dragging out my camera to take a picture.  Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment